If you have a Mac computer, there are so many things you can do with it. It comes with tons of features, and it is not easy for a beginner Mac user to be aware of all of Mac’s awesome features. Being one of the most powerful computers in existence today, the article will be discussing six Mac hacks you might have never probably heard before.
- Capturing a Screenshot
Capturing a screenshot is pretty easy with Mac. There could be scenarios in which you think of taking a screenshot on the Mac. For instance, it could be to show an error to your colleague, or it could be to keep a reference of an article you come across while browsing the web. Find below three ways of taking a screenshot using a Mac.
- A crosshair will be displayed when you click the keys Command + Shift + 4 simultaneously. This crosshair will help you to capture the screenshot you require by dragging the mouse.
- You can take a screenshot of the entire window by clicking Command + Shift + 4 and then clicking the spacebar.
- Likewise, you can obtain a file displaying the screenshot of the entire desktop if you click the keys Command + Shift + 3.
- Recover an Overwritten File
An important file in your Mac computer getting overwritten by another file could very well be a matter of concern for many users. Even though Mac always prompts you about the same file name already existing in your Mac computer, you might mistakenly still proceed with the replace button, especially if you are in a hurry with your work. The result is losing the data that a new file has overwritten. If you are thinking about the accidentally replaced file how to recover on Mac, the good news is that retrieving such overwritten files is much easier than you might have thought.
- Deleting Files Quickly
There could be scenarios that demand the files be deleted easily instead of selecting files one by one and then deleting them. For example, select a file and then click on the keyboard Command + Delete keys, and the file will be deleted right away. The deleted file will be then moved to Trash. On the other hand, if you want to get rid of all the files in the Trash folder, you have to click the keys ‘Command + Shift + Delete’, and all the files and folders in the Trash will be emptied right away.
- Browse through the Running Apps
If you want to know the apps running currently on your Mac computer, click ‘Command + Tab’, and a window will be displayed showing the apps currently running. Just hold the Command key and click the Tab key for cycling through the apps.
- Dictation feature on Mac
Your Mac computer can make the writing process seamless for you. For example, if you have some space in your hard drive, a quick update of this feature can make the dictation feature work seamlessly on your Mac computer.
You should follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Choose the option denoted as ‘System Preferences’.
- Click the option denoted as ‘Dictation & Speech’.
- Next to the ‘Dictation’ option, an ‘On’ and ‘Off’ radio button will be displayed.
- Select the ‘On’ radio button next to ‘Dictation’.
- You should also ensure that you check the option ‘Use Enhanced Dictation.
- This feature will help you to perform the dictation process even when not connected to the internet connection.
- For activating the ‘Dictation’ feature, a user will have to click on the ‘Fn’ key twice quickly.
- Option to Move the Dock
The first thing you should know is how to hide the dock and make it display again. For doing the same, you should press the keys Command + Option + D on the keyboard, which will hide the dock right away. If you press the same keys again, the dock will be displayed again by un-hiding the dock. However, suppose you are using two monitors and want to move the dock from one display to another without hiding it. In that case, you have to move the mouse towards the other monitor and ensure the cursor is being held at the bottom center of the screen. Then, you can see that the dock will move to the new display and make it the new screen unless and until the same action is performed again for bringing back the dock from the second monitor to the first monitor.
These are the six Mac hacks you might have never really heard before. But, of course, there are many other Mac hacks, such as using Spotlight as a calculator, using an emoji keyboard, access a dictionary quickly, etc. All these features make Mac a favorite among computer users.