While hiring a new candidate for your office, it is essential to test their English proficiency to optimize the role in the job. Thus, the English proficiency test is vital for examining a candidate’s fluency.
This examination allows the candidate to demonstrate their control over the language, making it perfect for efficient talent management and successful recruitment.
Definition of an English proficiency test
Well-designed tests for English proficiency will help to rate the grasp of a person on segments like vocabulary, usage, and grammar. The employer will know how well the candidates can express themselves in writing and speaking.
Proficiency tests for English also measure how the applicant can easily understand when they read or hear it.
The primary goal of the proficiency examination is to evaluate the candidate’s skill level within a business context. An English proficiency exam will convey how well the candidate can communicate in sales meetings or client calls.
What are the levels of English proficiency examination?
There are 6 levels of English proficiency test, which includes:
- A1 (Basic)
- Greeting people, introducing, and implementing everyday expressions
- Conveying the basic information about what they do for a living and where they live
- Asking for help with essential requirements like finding shelter, transportation, or food
- Understanding simple English spoken clearly and slowly without idiomatic and slang expressions
- A2 (Basic)
- Handling basic expression used in social circumstances
- Talking about family members and themselves
- Answering and asking questions straightforwardly
- Participating in simple conversations on familiar subjects instantly
- B1 (Independent)
- Coping with the everyday traveling interactions
- Speaking about the plans, wishes, and experiences freely
- Producing and understanding texts related to relevant situation
- Understanding others expressing basic information about their daily life
- B2 (Independent)
- Comprehending abstract and concrete information, specifically in their study or work specialization
- Writing detailed texts expressing different viewpoints, options, and opinions
- Conversing easily with the natives by gathering thoughts and without pausing for long
- Understanding the speaker without asking them to repeat themselves or slowing down
- C1 (Proficient)
- Understanding complicated and longer sentences, including symbolic language, colloquialisms, and idiomatic expressions
- Using appropriate English for business contexts
- Writing well-structured and long texts with appropriate grammar
- Expressing themselves freely without pausing to find the correct expression or word
- C2 (Proficient)
- Understands everything easily they hear or read in English
- Efficiently synthesizing information from various spoken and well-written sources into logical and accurate summaries
- Accurately expressing meaning in complicated situations without advanced preparation or hesitation
- How do you test the English language proficiency of a candidate?
You can test the English language proficiency of a candidate with the help of OPI (Oral Proficiency Interview), WPT (Writing proficiency test), and OPIc (Oral Proficiency Interview computer).
SpeechX- The best AI tool from Mercer | Mettl to conduct English proficiency test
Mercer | Mettl offers SpeechX, a powerful voice assistant AI tool for the English proficiency test. It efficiently measures a candidate’s mastery of the English language without any chances of cheating. SpeechX automatically rates the candidate’s responses with detailed and real-time reports. It primarily assesses the candidate’s pronunciation, listening, fluency, and grammatical proficiency in English. Mercer | Mettl provides holistic solutions to know the proficiency level of the applicant with accuracy.
Managing the staff efficiently and successfully means examining the applicants and recognizing the perfect candidate for the job. English proficiency test provides ideal tools for precise talent management and skill assessment decisions.
With the help of this writing, you can decide the best candidate based on your recruitment criteria and create and maintain a team with high language skills in a highly competitive marketplace.