No offense, but what are you waiting for if you haven’t read the Delia Owens novel yet? The coming-of-age story resonates with a wide spectrum of individuals, regardless of background, which contributes to its success.
Where are the Crawdads? Sing is told by a young girl named Kya, also known as “Marsh Girl.” She grows up in the 1960s on the Carolina coast in a community called Barkley Cove as a quiet and lonesome character. Her family abandons her when she is just six years old, and for a long time, Kya, the shack she calls home, and the beauties of the marsh are all she has. Her spiritual bond with the marsh inspires her to become a remarkable naturalist, despite the fact that her sharp mind is sometimes neglected by those in town who regard her as less-than and “swamp trash.” The town is startled to learn that local heartthrob Chase Andrews has been found dead, and it isn’t long before they suspect Kya.
We follow Kya as she grows up in the marsh, falls in love, is a suspect in the death of a guy who promised her marriage, and eventually becomes a successful published author.
- Best 7 Educational Movies for Students
- Alita Battle Angel 2 Movie: All The Latest Updates and Everything We Know So Far
Where the Crawdads Sing Release Date Confirmed!
Those who have been anxiously awaiting the Where the Crawdads Sing movie the past several years will be delighted to hear that the novel adaption is planned to be released theatrically on July 15, 2022, says The Hollywood Reporter. The movie was initially intended to debut a few weeks earlier on June 24, 2022, according to Deadline, but the release was changed about a few of times before deciding on the mid-July launch.
Where the Crawdads Sing Cast Information
- Daisy Edgar-Jones as Catherine “Kya” Clarke
- Jojo Regina as young Catherine “Kya” Clarke
- Luke David Blumm as young Tate Walker
- Taylor John Smith as Tate Walker
- Harris Dickinson as Chase Andrews
- Jayson Warner Smith as Deputy Joe Purdue
- Michael Hyatt as Mabel
- Sterling Macer, Jr. as Jumpin
- David Strathairn as Tom Milton
- Ahna O’Reilly as Ma
- Garret Dillahunt as Pa
- Eric Ladin as Eric Chastain
Where the Crawdads Sing Plot Information
Kya is a clever young girl who grows up in a marsh in North Carolina. She is later suspected in the murder of a man who had chased her.
In the early 1950s, Kya is abandoned by her parents and elder siblings and must learn to survive on her own. Tate Walker, her buddy, teaches her to read and write, and she falls for him, but she is left behind when he leaves for college.
Chase Andrews is a quarterback who entices Kya into a tryst with marriage promises that never materialize. He attacks her when she terminates their relationship, and she nearly escapes. Then, while she is away, Chase is discovered dead, and Kya finds herself in the middle of a murder trial, with the evidence against her appearing insurmountable.
Where the Crawdads Sing New Official Trailer
Will Where the Crawdads Sing Will come on Netflix?
There’s been a lot of noise around Netflix’s contract with Sony which offers the streamer exclusive licensing rights to the company’s new theatrical movies for an 18-month timeframe starting in January 2022
Where The Crawdads Sing Movie Development Timeline
- August 14, 2018, Where The Crawdads Sing (novel) is released.
- September 1, 2018, Where The Crawdads Sing is chosen for Reese Witherspoon’s September 2018 Book Club pick.
- December 7, 2018 Deadline reports that Fox 2000 will be adapting the film version of Where the Crawdads Sing and that Reese Witherspoon and Hello Sunshine (her production company) will be producing it.
- March 14, 2019, G. Putnam and Sons (book publisher) notes via Twitter that Delia Owens has met with Reese Witherspoon about the movie plans.
- May 1, 2019, Delia Owens mentions in an interview that a screenwriter is now working on a script, but she’s not at liberty to say who it is.
- July 15, 2019, Elizabeth Gabler of Fox 2000 moves to Sony as part of a multiplatform production pact with Sony and HarperCollins (and allegedly takes this project with her) (and apparently takes this project with her)
- September 27, 2019, Delia Owens says in an interview that the screenwriter has “almost completed the first draft of the screenplay”.
- March 11, 2020, Lucy Alibar is confirmed as the screenwriter for the adaptation of the Where The Crawdads Sing screenplay
- July 21, 2020 ‘Where the Crawdads Sing’ Movie Adaptation Finds Its Director
- July 24, 2020, Where the Crawdads Sing is officially in pre-production.
- October 11, 2020, Delia Owens announced on Facebook that casting news with be forthcoming soon.
- October 21, 2020 ‘Where the Crawdads Sing’: ‘Normal People’s Daisy Edgar-Jones Set As Lead In Film Adaptation From 3000 Pictures, Hello Sunshine & Sony
- January 2021 The Where the Crawdads Sing adaptation has its own Instagram account @crawdadsmovie
- January 25, 2021 ‘Where The Crawdads Sing’: Taylor John Smith And Harris Dickinson Join Film Adaptation For 3000 Pictures, Hello Sunshine And Sony
- March 2021 “Where the Crawdads Sing” is reported being filming in New Orleans through June 2021
- April 2021 Netflix acquires the streaming rights.
- March 22, 2022 Trailer released.
- July 15, 2022, Theatrical Release!