In Brazil news stories have talked about the soccer star’s health. Pelé’s doctors and a post on his Facebook page both said that his cancer treatment was being looked at again.
AL RAYYAN, Qatar — The ageing Brazilian soccer star Pelé tried to reassure the public on Saturday that he was still getting treatments to fight cancer after a Brazilian newspaper said that he was no longer responding to chemotherapy and had been moved to palliative care.
A short post on Pelé’s Instagram account said, “My friends, I want to keep everyone calm and positive.” “I’m strong I have a lot of hope, and I’m still getting my treatment.”
In a statement released on Saturday Pelé’s three doctors at the Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein in So Paulo said that he was in stable condition after being taken there earlier this week to reevaluate his chemotherapy. The statement said that Pelé’s respiratory infection was “responding well” to treatment and that his health had not gotten worse in the last 24 hours.
The hospital made the statement after a Brazilian newspaper said Pelé wouldn’t fight his cancer as hard as he had been.
The newspaper article didn’t say that he was going to die soon, and the hospital didn’t say that Pelé had been moved to hospice care. But Pelé’s health was said to be getting worse after the newspaper story came out.
At the World Cup a tall hotel near the stadium where the U.S. and Netherlands played on Saturday posted an electronic message on its side before the game wishing Pelé, who has won the World Cup three times, luck. Kylian Mbappé of France and other stars in the tournament posted similar messages of support.
In the past few years every time Pelé went to the hospital for treatment or illness, rumours spread that he had died. On Friday, Pelé’s Instagram account tried to dispute the latest news that he was back in the hospital, which had come out this week.
A message under a different picture of Pelé on a building in Doha said, “Friends, I’m at the hospital for my monthly checkup.” “It’s always great to hear good news like this. Thanks to Qatar for this tribute and to everyone who sends me good thoughts!”
Pelé’s daughter Kely Nascimento had said earlier on Instagram that her father’s health was “neither a surprise nor an emergency.”
“There’s a lot of worry about my dad’s health in the news today,” Nascimento wrote at the time. “There is no emergency and there is no new bad news. I’ll be there for New Year’s and promise to post some pictures.” The tone of Pelé’s latest message, which he sent on Saturday, was also upbeat.
“I have a lot of faith in God, and every message of love I get from you all over the world keeps me full of energy,” it said. “And keep an eye on Brazil at the World Cup!”
Related Stories Recommended By Writer: